Social Stories. A simple story in words and pictures can give your child information about the transition back to school. Parents can write a story for their children, or teachers can write a story about themselves and their classrooms and post it on their classroom website before school starts. A template for writing your own story about your classroom, as well as some links to pre-made stories are below:
- Time For School - A Back To School Social Story
- Back-To-School: A Social Story
- Personal Stories to Help Children Get Ready for School
- Customize a Back-to-School Story with Pictures from Your Classroom
- Advice to Get Your Child Ready to Start School from Dr. Peter Faustino, PhD
- Tips for Reducing Stress Associated with Back to School from Dr. Peter Faustino, PhD
- Autism and the Back to School Transition from Dr. Peter Gerhardt, Ed.D.
- Getting Ready for School: Transition Tips for Students with Autism from Dr. Paula Kluth, PhD
- Helping Our Kids with Autism Transition Back Into School by Esther B. Hess, Ph.D.