"Pay-What-You-Can" Family Training Program
If you'd like to learn the basics of effective ways to teach your child new skills and behaviors with support from Dr. Caldwell (either in-person or via video conferencing), this program is for you! This program would also be helpful if your child is participating in an ABA program, as you'll learn some of the basics of ABA and become familiar with what your child is doing and how to support learning at home. Here's how it works:
You'll get 12 weeks of training sessions, each lasting about one hour or 1.5 hours. Each training session will cover one particular strategy, and I'll teach you what the strategy is and how it's used. I'll also demonstrate/coach you on how to use the skill with your child. Depending on what your child needs, some topics we might cover include:
- Making a learning environment fun for your child (building rapport),
- How to create goals for your child's learning and track your child's progress on these goals (goal setting/data collection),
- Motivating your child to learn (reinforcement),
- Breaking teaching down into small steps (discrete trial teaching and task analysis),
- What to do when your child doesn't know how to perform a skill or academic task (prompting/fading),
- Encouraging your child to use language in a meaningful way (manding),
- Motivating your child to complete academic lessons and other tasks with visual cues (token economy/visual supports/schedules),
- Teaching your child in "natural environments" and situations so learning isn't rote (natural reinforcement),
- Setting up a "work area" with visual supports for your child to work on learning activities (structured work systems),
- Teaching your child new skills with videos (video modeling),
- How to prepare your child for upcoming lessons and activities (priming),
These sessions can either be done in-person in the Dallas area (this is the preferred option) or remotely via online video conferencing. I want this program to be open to everyone who wants to participate, so this program is offered on a "pay-what-you-can" model each week. If you'd like more information or to set-up a free initial consultation, fill out the family training program interest form. Please note that there is limited availability for this program, as I typically have a fairly full schedule with tutoring and teacher training, but please let me know if you're interested. I love doing this, and will do my absolute best to fit you in. If you fill out the form, I'll get back to you within a couple of days with more information and my availability. Thanks so much and I look forward to meeting you!
- This program is not a substitute for an ABA program or another therapeutic school or program for your child. My goal is to give you the basic strategies that many autism professionals use so that you can work effectively with these professionals, as well as help your child with any skills you're already working on at home.
- I am not a BCBA, and do not provide Applied Behavior Analysis services. I simply have a background in these methods, having taken many ABA courses during my Master's and Ph.D. programs, as well as working in ABA centers. ABA does influence my teaching style, but my tutoring and teaching is not intended to be ABA services. I am also not a speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist, or counselor/psychologist and do not provide these type of services.